You may be thinking, “I don’t need a sugar detox, I don’t add sugar to my foods”. Sugar comes in more than just the white powdery form. Sugar comes in many forms; corn syrup, maple syrup, honey, etc. Natural sugar even occurs in fruits and vegetables. Sugar has become excessive for the average person. In 1915, the average sugar consumed each year for a person was 15-20 pounds. Today, the average person consumes their body weight PLUS 20 pounds in sugar every year. Sugar is in almost everything, whether you are aware or not.
Let’s have a quick rundown of what happens in your body when you consume sugar. You have two blood sugar regulating hormones: insulin and glucagon. Glucagon signals the release of stored glycogen for fuel. This is the reason you are able to maintain energy during a WOD. When you get hungry, Glucagon helps break down glycogen from storage to dump into your bloodstream and avoid a blood sugar crash. Maintaining even blood sugar levels is KEY to a healthy diet (and fat loss). Any time you take in sugar, your body goes into storage mode rather than burning mode. When your blood sugar is out of whack, the rest of your hormones are too. If you eat too many processed foods (with a lot of sugar) and demand insulin to get your blood sugar back to normal, you run the risk of crashing from low blood sugar. This results in the need to take a nap or the feeling of a crash after an insulin spike. This leaves you irritable, weak, and looking for more sugar. The stress hormone cortisol is your flight or fight hormone that is released during these highs and lows. Too much of it can make you feel on edge while too little can leave you dragging, craving an upper. I won’t even get started on the craving response that occurs in your brain as a result of sugar. These responses wreak havoc on your vital organs simply because you eat too much sugar.
OK I get it, so why should I take part in CutThroat’s sugar detox? Sugar has a hold on you and controls your health. Removing sugar from your diet for 3 weeks will allow you to take back your life. Here are a few reasons to do a sugar detox.
1. Eliminate cravings. You eat sugar because your body tells you to and your body tells you to because you eat sugar. This is a vicous cycle that we must break to regulate your hormones.
2. Lose weight. Remember what I said about your body going into storage mode? That is often in your lower belly area so removing the sugar will allow your body to utilize and process whole foods rather than store it.
3. Feel better overall. Sugar causes symptoms of being toxic like fatigue, brain fog, achiness, digestive issues, allergies and headaches. How much better would you feel if these symptoms didn’t affect you during the day?
4. Set your kids up for success. Adolescent obesity is becoming a huge problem in our society! Starting now will show your little ones the importance of eating whole foods rather than processed, sugary ones.
5. Feel more full. Sugar tricks your body into thinking it is satisfied, but you’ll be feeling hungry again in a short period of time. Sugar is empty with no nutrients or minerals to benefit your health. In fact, it uses good nutrients to process it in your body. That’s a lose-lose.
Do I have your attention yet? Good. These are just a few examples of why you should join us for a 21 day sugar detox. Now that you want to take back your health, here are the details:
When: Kickoff meeting is Thursday, May 25th at 6:30PM. We will answer all your questions!The challenge will begin on May, 30th (Next Tuesday after Memorial Day).
Cost: Only $40!
Who: This challenge is open to members and non-members. Get your family onboard with you!